Right Stuf’s ANIME TODAY Interviews
Vertical, Inc.’s Ioannis Mentzas
Plus Nakano Broadway, DC Anime Club, contests, reviews & more in episode 66!
GRIMES, IA, May 9, 2008 – Anime producer and mega-online anime retailer Right Stuf, Inc. is pleased to welcome Ioannis Mentzas – the editorial director and executive vice president of Vertical, Inc. – to episode 66 of ANIME TODAY.
In this new interview, Mentzas discusses how Vertical’s publishing strategy differs from other North American publishers and the challenges of bringing popular Japanese manga, novels and non-fiction to English-speaking readers. Also, he talks about classic manga by Osamu Tezuka (Buddha, MW, Dororo) and Keiko Takemiya (Andromeda Stories, To Terra) and shares details about Vertical’s upcoming release of Tezuka’s Black Jack.
Also in episode 66 of ANIME TODAY:
- Chad tells listeners “What’s Hot” in the world of anime and manga.
- Shawne gives listeners the rundown on how they can “Sail into Summer with Savings” on graphic novels and other books from TOKYOPOP.
- Chris Wanamaker, the president of DC Anime Club, talks about the club’s upcoming screening of Vexille at the Embassy of Japan’s Japan Information and Culture Center on May 29, 2008.
- Kris and Judy share the scoop about another Tokyo shopping hotspot, Nakano Broadway, in the “Anime and Gamers’ Guide.”
- Rich and Nick announce a quick new contest from Viz Pictures for tickets to screenings of the Death Note Movie and remind listeners about the contest for copies of the graphic novel Dark Wraith of Shannara.
- Marie checks out Kozue Amano’s manga Aqua and Aria.
- Judy-sensei returns with a new mini Japanese 101 lesson and tackles a new Anime Today Q&A question.
- Listen to musical clips from the JapanFiles.com CDs fantastic starline and Limited-trax by maria gadget.
- And finally, ANIME TODAY highlights some of the newest fan reviews from RightStuf.com visitors.
Have a question about anime and manga? Want to comment on one of the podcast’s segments? Call our Anime Today Hotline at 1-800-338-6827, ext. 7424. You may hear yourself on a future episode of Anime Today!
Visit www.rightstuf.com and www.animetoday.com for this episode, as well as an archive of all ANIME TODAY episodes and extended liner notes. Listeners can also download and subscribe to ANIME TODAY via the Apple iTunes Music Store.
Meet other anime fans, talk with ANIME TODAY listeners, submit your suggestions for future episodes and more at the new ANIME TODAY forums: http://www.rightstuf.com/ubbthreads/.
Visit ANIME TODAY on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/animetoday.
ABOUT ANIME TODAY
Released every other week, ANIME TODAY is the first commercially-produced podcast aimed at enthusiasts of Japanese animation and comics (“anime” and “manga”). Each episode features fresh content and gives listeners a glimpse into what’s new and what’s hot in the world of anime and manga. Segments include reviews of titles from all major anime studios, insights into the industry from anime producers, tips on traveling to and around Japan, interaction with listeners, contests, prizes and more.
“If you’re into anime and what’s happening in the anime market then this is the podcast for you!”
- User review on iTunes
ABOUT RIGHT STUF, INC.
Currently celebrating its 21st year in business, Right Stuf, Inc. was one of the first players in the U.S. Japanese Animation (“anime”) industry, as both an anime producer/distributor and a retailer. Right Stuf works to promote knowledge of its own products, as well as the anime and manga industry, in general, through its online storefront at RightStuf.com and a variety of media including podcasts and special publications.
Nozomi Entertainment, Right Stuf’s production division, is dedicated to the highest quality releases. True to the Japanese word that inspired its name, Nozomi’s focus is on “what fans want.” By focusing on a limited number of anime properties each year, the Nozomi production team ensures each release receives the care and attention to detail it deserves. Astro Boy, Kimba and Gigantor to modern comedies, dramas and favorites such as The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, His and Her Circumstances, Gravitation, Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, Ninja Nonsense, To Heart, The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye and Emma: A Victorian Romance, Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment produce quality programming for fans of all ages and interests. For more information, visit www.rightstuf.com and www.nozomient.com.
From anime classics like